Rabies Titer

The rabies titer goes by several different names: Rabies Titer, Rabies Blood Titer, Rabies Blood Titer Test, FAVN, RNATT, and probably others.  They all refer to the same test in the United States.  Here’s a little bit of an explanation of this test.


Pet Relocation


Rabies Titer Goes by Many Names

From Kansas State University Rabies Laboratory:

Rabies blood serum test for pet travel to rabies free countries or regions: The Fluorescent Antibody Virus Neutralization (FAVN) test measures the response of an animal’s immune system to the rabies vaccine. More specifically, it is a virus neutralization assay developed to screen animal [blood] by a standard method for an adequate level of rabies antibodies following vaccination. The FAVN test is required by many rabies-free countries or regions in order for dogs and cats to qualify for a reduced quarantine period prior to entry. Some of these regions are Hawaii, Guam, Japan, St. Kitts and Nevis, Australia, New Zealand, [Korea], France [no longer required], and the United Kingdom [no longer required].

Rabies FAVN = Flourescent Antibody Virus Neutralization

RNATT = Rabies Neutralizing Antibody Titer Test

Rabies FAVN = RNATT = Rabies Titer Test

In most cases it is very important that the original rabies titer results travel with the animal to their destination.  Copies are not acceptable.  Exceptions to this rule are Hawaii and some Caribbean islands where the original results are sent directly to their department of agriculture.

Dr. David Landers DVM is a USDA accredited veterinarian for international health certificates, domestic health certificates, and other travel / export documents for pets in the DFW Dallas Fort Worth area and can take care of all pre-transport testing needs as well.

USDA Accredited Veterinarian Dallas Texas

For pet transport by air or ground across state or country borders you will need a health certificate. Health Certificates can only be written by USDA Accredited Veterinarians. Our veterinarians are USDA accredited for both Category I and Category II animals (see below). If you are using a veterinarian from another facility to do your health certificates, make sure they are currently USDA accredited under the new revised program. This is especially important for international pet transport and shipping. The USDA will not endorse an international health certificate written by a veterinarian that is not accredited by the USDA APHIS Veterinary Services department.

USDA Accredited Veterinarian International Health Certificate

On December 9, 2009 the U.S. Department of Agriculture Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (USDA-APHIS) published a final ruling that revised the veterinary accreditation program.

The National USDA Veterinary Accreditation Program (NVAP)

is designed to allow private practice veterinarians to assist federal veterinarians in controlling animal diseases. According to the USDA-APHIS, the revisions will “strengthen animal health safeguarding activities and increase the training and skills of accredited veterinarians in disease prevention and preparedness for animal health emergencies.”

The revised program took effect February 1, 2010.

The changes to the NVAP program for USDA Accredited Veterinarians include the following:

  • Two species-based accreditation categories instead of one
  • Accredited veterinarians will be assigned a six-digit national accreditation number
  • Requirements for supplemental training in 2013 at the earliest
    • Supplemental training will be available online, in print form, and at multiple veterinary meetings and conventions.
    • NVAP training may be accepted by many states as credits toward license renewal CE requirements.
  • Renewal of accreditation every three (3) years
  • Veterinarians accredited before February 1, 2010 must apply to continue their accreditation in the NVAP.

Category I animals:

All animals except: food and fiber species, horses, birds, farm-raised aquatic animals, all other livestock species, and zoo animals that can transmit exotic animal diseases to livestock.

Category II animals:

Category II animal species examples: food and fiber animal species (cow, pig, sheep, goat, all ruminant), horse (mule, ass, pony, zebra), all bird species and poultry, farm-raised aquatic animal species, livestock species (bison, captive cervid, llama, alpaca, antelope, other hoofed animal), zoo animals that can transmit exotic animal diseases to livestock.

Request Our Services

Request an Estimate to Transport Your Pet

Request a Health Certificate Appointment


Pet Transport to the United Kingdom

Looking to Move Your Pet to the United Kingdom?


Pet Movers

Moving pets to the UK has gotten a little easier.  In the spring of 2012 England modified their requirements for importation of pets from the United States to eliminate the need for a rabies blood titer test (RNATT / FAVN).

Requirements to Ship Pets into the United Kindgom


Your pet should have an ISO (International Standardization Organization) compliant microchip placed.


A rabies vaccination should be done AFTER the ISO microchip is placed.  Any vaccinations before microchipping are irrelevant to importation and transportation.

Health Certificates

A European Union Annex II veterinary certificate should be completed along with a United States Department of Agriculture USDA 7001 International Health Certificate for Small Animals should be completed.  At least 21 days must have passed after the rabies vaccination before these documents can be signed for transport to the UK.  These must be done by a USDA accredited veterinarian and endorsed by the USDA.  The timing of these documents depends on the origin location due to endorsement logistics.

Tapeworm Treatment

Your pet dog must be treated for tapeworms (Echinococcus multilocularis) within 1-5 days prior to import.  This must be documented on the EU Annex II veterinary certificate and signed by the administering veterinarian.


We can provide all of these services for you or work with your veterinarian to assure that everything is done properly at the appropriate time.

AirVets Pet Relocation is a veterinarian owned and operated pet transportation company specializing in domestic and international animal transportation door to door anywhere in the world.  Operating from our Dallas Fort Worth office, we are a member of the International Pet and Animal Transportation Association (IPATA) and are licensed by the USDA Intermediate Handler program.

Shipping Pet